Coming soon to theatres near you....The Golden Compass. The books, despite what is quoted in this article, are very popular. Since they carry a very strong atheistic message there has been a bit of an uproar about them. But what scares me the most is this bit about the author:
Pullman has not been shy in the past about verbalizing his beliefs — or, some might say, nonbeliefs — and his intentions in writing the "Dark Materials" novels.
The novelist has said they are in response to C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia," the popular children's fantasy series of which "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first book — written by Lewis to teach Christian ideals to kids.
"I loathe the 'Narnia' books," Pullman has said in previous press interviews. "I hate them with a deep and bitter passion, with their view of childhood as a golden age from which sexuality and adulthood are a falling away." He has called the series "one of the most ugly and poisonous things" he's ever read.
I can't help getting a shiver of apprehension every time I see something like this. It seems like this man has such a furious hatred for Christianity. I think of how his books have sold millions of copies and now he has had them made into a movie, so he obviously has a following and will soon have more.
Then I think of my little Josh, who loves Jesus with all his heart and has the most amazing perspectives on God and how He controls our lives. Then I think of this guy and the people like him who will hate my boy and everything he stands for. Scary, scary stuff.
More incentive to make sure Josh and Danny are both outfitted with "the armor of God." The older they get the more I realize I won't be able to protect them from this kind of stuff for long. But I'm so thankful they're in God's hands instead of only in mine, since mine are obviously not up for the job alone!
2 comments:
And Pullman is downright *gleeful* about the furor that Harry Potter has fueled when those books are so completely harmless and his own so completely aren't. He thinks it's really, really funny that Christians are off chasing the wrong rabbit.
But really, I think we have to do just as you said. We teach our kids so that they can go out confidently and a be light to others.
(I only wish I knew how to do that...)
This entire series was horrifying to me when I read it (yes, the entire thing) about 3 years ago. I was sickened that the local library was promoting it as "something to read while you're waiting for the next Potter to come out." Pullman quite literally blows God to powder in his final novel of the trilogy.
I can only hope that it will die a natural death in the theaters and that Christians will NOT get up in arms about this, thereby creating an undue interest a-la "The Last Temptation of Christ" (I am dating myself severely by bringing that flick up). The fewer people that hear/see this, the better.
OR----possibly---maybe New Line Cinema will so emasculate the storyline that it will be unrecognizable to the original.
But then there will be those kids (and I was one like this) who will HAVE to have the books since the movie was SOOOO cool. It is for those children that I fear.
Yet one more reason for parents to read the same things their kids do.
Post a Comment