Julie recently posted a challenge on her blog, inviting her readers to write something around the line "I will keep the cats and dogs." The following is my humble offering:
Perfect World
I will keep the cats and dogs
The almost-humans we adore
I will keep the horses strong
And camels, I’ll take even more
I will keep the parrots bright
The hippos with their wiggly ears
I will take the tall giraffes
The lions that inspire fears
I will take the lowing cow
The wily goat, the wooly sheep
The clucking birds and cooing doves
All creatures that our bellys reap
I will take the snorting swine
Though we can’t eat their fatty meat
I wonder if soon, down the line
Ham & pork chops will be treats.
But I won’t take the scaly ilk
With tongues that flicker in and out
Not the jumping, crawling bugs
Or rodents that creep all about
I won’t take the slimy snake
The flying bat, the gnawing flea
I won’t take the aardvark strange
In some odd way it bothers me.
I won’t take hyenas loud
The whining, howling creatures too
I won’t take the smelly ones
That’s too much work for me to do.
And God said,
“Noah. I said take them all.”
“Fine! You explain it to my wife, then.”
___________________
Thank you. Thank you very much. No pictures please.
=)
Crystal provided an amusing spin on Dr. Seuss with her creation. Who's next? Steph, you're the published writer.
4 comments:
I think that is great! I love it!
Yeah, rhyme is not my thing:) Yours is good though!
great job, jodi. i think you should put it to music! :)
Thanks, Crys! And thank you, beloved former English classmates. I owe it all to Linnea Lo.
Remember Beowulf??? I have great pics of Jay and Orthreb acting it out in their PE uniforms.
Post a Comment