On Saturday we were supposed to have a birthday party for my Dad. I went over about an hour early to drop off the ice cream, and was surprised to see balloons and flowers adorning the dining room. Also puzzling, since my Dad is not a balloons and flowers kind of guy. On the table were cupcakes and a cake. Two cupcakes spelled out "55" and two others "33." The 55 was logical, since that is Dad's age.
At this point my Dad, Mom, and Grandma appeared from various places in the house, evidently very surpised to see me. The following conversation ensued:
Me: Hi. Who's 33?
Dad: You are.
Me: Yeah, true. Who else is coming that's 33?
Dad: Nobody. It's your birthday party too.
Mom: Surprise!
Me: My birthday is in March.
Mom: You were busy with the baby on your birthday.
Me: But I thought this was Daddy's party.
Dad: It is, but we wanted you to have a party too.
Mom: Yes, and the flowers are all for you. Come look at your present!
Me: Oh. Cool, thanks!
So I accidentally ruined the surpise at my own party, but I still had fun. My actual birthday this year was really lousy. I had just gotten out of the hospital the night before, I had some horrible after-effects of childbirth, I had some serious hormonal issues, and I was hurting. We had take-out for dinner. It just wasn't a party time. I felt like I didn't really have a birthday at all this year.
So this little party made me very happy. The combined party was Dad's idea and Mom jumped all over it and went to town with a shrimp dinner, flowers, balloons, presents, party hats, etc. It was awesome. And Dad got me Lion King tickets! Woo hoo! And free babysitting. Woo hoo hoo! My Mom also planted a little herb garden for me, so now I can add to my little herb collection.
Now I'm officially 33, and a lot happier about having had a birthday. My parents are really cool!
4 comments:
Happy Birthday! And have fun at the Lion King. We went to see it last year and it was amazing. We absolutely loved it. Jess says it's her favorite now.
happy real birthday jodi!! what a nice surprise.
Happy (really, really belated) birthday!
awesome surprise!
Post a Comment