If you've never had a toddler (or a concussion) you may not be familiar with this situation.
I'm referring to the 24 hour waiting period that follows a head injury or possible head injury.
A few mornings ago I woke up to a huge thump, immediately followed by hysterical crying. Somehow the boy had rolled past his barriers, off the bed, and onto the floor (face first). Poor baby. He had a bloody nose and a bloody lip. The nose scared me, because I didn't know if it was caused by a smashed nose or by some sort of jarred-brain type injury. A call to the pediatrician later, and we were officially on neurological watch. By the time the day was over, the boy was really getting tired of me of me staring into his eyes looking for pupil dilation, checking his ears for blood, and asking him if his head was hurting him. Every time he sat still for more than a minute I was checking him for lethargy.
He's fine, and I'm thankful. Sometimes I forget how fragile our bodies are and how quickly we can go from completely healthy to seriously injured. So I'm also thankful that although we can be fragile, we also have thick skulls!
No comments:
Post a Comment