Sometimes I wonder what type of effect things such as blogging, personal websites, etc will have on our futures. Even now, personal information is so much more accessible than in previous times.
For instance, when I create a password for a site I usually get "security" questions such as my Mother's maiden name, first street I lived on, first pet, etc. Many people also use these as types of things as passwords. Now I think of 20 years in the future, when my child is setting up his checking account. Will they still be able to use personal questions to assure security? I'm betting they won't, since an ambitious person will only need computer access to find his mother's, aunty's, Dad's, Grandma's, or even his own blog to find out pretty much his whole life story. I don't think I post too much that's revealing, but the little stuff adds up.
If nothing else, the "psychics" and "fortune tellers" of the future have got it made!
"You have an aunt who's not really an aunt, but she is family. I see ocean, a sense of separation, a plane ride....she was in a cold place....Washington? Oregon?"
"Your mother struggled with numbers. No, not all numbers. I see a statistical calculator...."
"You ate a lot of fish growing up..."
Not that any child of mine will ever believe in psychics or fortune tellers, but you get the point.
And I'll still blog, since I like it and I really love reading my friend's blogs. But I think this is something worth contemplating.
2 comments:
You have a lot of faith in how long content that has fallen into disuse stays around on the Internet.
Will archives of my blog from this year be around somewhere in 20 years? Possibly. Probably my own copy, if no one else's. But available to the general population? I doubt it.
You mean you're not going to keep the blog going until Daniel heads to college?
Post a Comment