Tomorrow will be the boy's 2nd day of preschool. He did great on his first day. Me, not so much.
Until now everything that ever happens with him comes under my direct control. What he eats, when he sleeps, how he spends his day, etc. If he's sick, I'm the first person who knows it. If he gets hurt, it's my responsibility. I almost never leave him with sitters, and if I do it's only with my Mom or Dad.
Now I'm handing him off to a group of people who, although they seem very nice, are pretty much strangers. I researched the preschool, but when all is said and done, how much can you really know about these things? If he gets hurt, they're trained in first aid, but will they be able to comfort him? Many other worries abound.
It also marks the end of an era...his babyhood has officially come to an end. Before now I could still get away with thinking of him as a baby. But now, as he marches into his classroom wearing his backpack and hefting his little lunchbox it is obvious that he is now a little boy. I never thought I'd be thankful for a the cursory goodbye I got as he wandered off to check out the toys, but I really was. It's good to know he's okay with separation and is happy to be going to school.
I can't believe he's three already. Tomorrow, college. If I can manage to stretch the umbilical cord that far. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment