Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cricket Dance

Our jackson chameleon habitat has one major flaw. The screen enclosing it is a tiny bit too big, allowing some of the smaller crickets to squeeze through and escape. This causes two problems. One, I don't want a bunch of noisy crickets cruising on my patio. Two, the jacksons need to eat.

The combination of these factors has created a situation that probably belongs on America's Funniest Home Videos. I release the sacrifices into the habitat, then quickly shut the door. Then follows "the dance of the slipper," in which I dart from place to place around the cage, slapping the slipper against any areas where any of the crickets may have begun to try to squeeze through. Our two guests watch carefully, occasionally helping me out by consuming whatever cricket I'm chasing at the time.

The other day I found myself yelling, "Get back in there and be eaten!"

Add this to the list of things I've never imagined myself doing.

No comments: