Saturday, April 01, 2006

41 Days

Yesterday made 40 days and nights of rain, prompting local DJs and newscasters into making lame Noah jokes all day, including a really lame Bill Cosby plagiarization. What's A Cubit?

Today was the first time the rain damage truly impacted us negatively. By that I mean we made impact with a pothole on the freeway going 50 mph and lost a hubcap. But never fear, once we noticed it was gone we went back to the scene of the crime for retrieval. This was fun, since it was 10 pm, very dark, pouring rain, and on a bridge over a very windy gulch with cars zooming by.

I had weird flashbacks of that accident I was (almost) in with John and Julie in Monterey years ago.

What made it almost funny was I found our hubcap in a stretch of what must've been some kind of hubcap graveyard. I had to flip each one over and wait for headlights so I could make out the brand name and be sure I was grabbing the right one. Apparently that pothole has it out for hubcaps and was really raking them in. I only found four, but as we drove away I saw two or three more further up the bridge.

I guess every pothole has a preference, and this one likes hubcaps. Which is better than spinning us into the guardrail on the bridge would have been, so I'm thankful.

No comments: