One of the most depressing things about working with students is the amazing number of them who are utterly determined to do as little reading as possible while still completing their assignments. It seems inevitable that each time I assist a teenager with a book list I find out their primary purpose is to obtain the shortest title. I've lost count of the number of kids who have asked me "How many pages does it have?". The saddest thing is some of the titles they have as options are amazing, interesting books that I'm sure they would enjoy if they would only put a little effort into it. Oh well. Today's favorite turned up her nose at Kidnapped, various Mark Twain titles, and Eragon, then selected Joey Pigza Loses Control. It's short, the words are big, and the cover features a cartoon kid standing on his head.
Okay, admittedly I've heard good things about Joey, but that's not the point. The student in question didn't settle on it because it was a Newbury book; she picked it because it wasn't as fat as the other books on her list. Makes me want to morph into Mean Mommy and make my poor child read thicker board books so he doesn't turn out like that.
3 comments:
Jaen.. did you forget to use spell check on that too? =)
In my opinion, teens head for the path of least resistance not from a lack of discipline, but a lack of interest. If it was a big book about sex, they'd read it.
Take me for instance, normally a blog this long of just text would get no more than a few glances, just to see if the titles caught my attention (MJ would have, btw). However, I read the whole thing, and did it slowly, because I am interested in the topic... you.
My point, continue to buy the Boy books about fish, birds or choo choos and you've got it made. You're already a good mommy.
This is why you were scared to show me your blog.. cause you knew that I would comment.
Actually, I was scared to show it to you because I said the word "penis" so many times it didn't seem family-like. And, you know, that other thing.
PS... Thanks for the good mommy thing!
Post a Comment