Thank you to all of you for your prayers.
The good news is Daniel was released from the hospital on Tuesday evening. The not-so-good news is his condition is exactly the same. The reasoning at the hospital goes something along the line of "This isn't normal but we don't know what's doing it" along with "We can't do anything about it so you might as well go home."
As you can imagine, Jay and I are very nervous about this. We are pleased to see that other than the breathing and accelerated heart rate he appears to be an extremely healthy little boy. However, breath and heart function are pretty much the primary things you want to work, and telling us things like "at least he has nice gums" isn't encouraging. (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.)
We had a follow-up with his pediatrician this morning, and our instructions are only to watch him carefully. He isn't even on any medications. We also are treating a few nasty side effects from stuff he caught in the hospital. = (
I've done everything I can for Daniel with regard to finding him the best possible medical care. It has been inadequate, and it appears we are once again in a place where I just have to leave him in God's hands. Of course, he has always been in God's hands whether we trust him there or not, but it is a hard lesson for us to remember. It's also hard to avoid feeling helpless. But at the same time it's empowering to remember that the God who is taking care of him is the One who put him together in the first place.
So, please do continue to pray for my little guy, and for us as well. I know we've only had him for two weeks, but it's amazing how much you can come to love someone in such a short time. His personality is just beginning to emerge, and he gets more animated every day. He's a real darling and I feel so blessed to have him.
Well, the darling is starting to scream in typical newborn fashion. Medical mysteries aside, he's a normal baby and he thinks the world revolves around him! I'm thankful for the cute little smile I just got and for the way he curls into me when he cuddles.
Thank you again, all of you, for your prayers. Knowing people are praying for us is one of the things that is helping us keep it together.
5 comments:
What a hard place you are in. I guess whether or not Daniel has breathing problems or not, our kids are always in God's hands, right? =) Still hard.
On a lighter note...if you want to get a 2nd opinion, I hear the Seattle Children's Hospital is world renowned!
=)
You're getting a smile at 2 weeks?! Man, I had to wait almost 2 months. I was convinced my kids really didn't like me!
Uh, that should be kid. I've only got the one.
Denver has a pretty decent Children's hospital as well. And it rains less here.
Praying for you and the kidlet. Are you breastfeeding? (Yeah, weird question for a semistranger to ask on a public blog, sorry...) but possibly he's responding to something you are eating??
Times like this bring us back to the reality that all of life is in God's control, not ours.
Post a Comment