For all you other Bible-believing Christians out there...I'd love to hear some Biblically derived opinions on re-marrying after divorce. Not allowed at all? Allowed only under certain circumstances? What circumstances? What scripture backs it up?
Do you know of any good resources on the subject?
It's been on my mind a lot lately, and although I come down firmly into the "no re-marrying" category, I have been hearing some people justifying it under certain circumstances. And inquiring minds want to know.
Anyone? Anyone? Any and all comments are welcome. I'd really like to know. Thanks!
PS...Jay and I are fine. This is for something different.
4 comments:
May I ask your basis for no remarriage?
I don't really have a stance since I haven't studied this subject. I tend to agree with no marriage if divorced and if the other person is still alive. We do know that people are allowed to remarry after their spouse has died. So if the other spouse has passed away I would think that is okay. This is the case with my mom...and I truly believe God protected her until my dad had passed away.
What I would like to know is how God views this remarriage if a person is divorced...besides it being adultery. I've read through the bible, but I'm afraid that stuff didn't stick out. Should they divorce yet again? And live without a spouse? How do you correct that? Can you correct? Are you now under the covenant of marriage?
I know a friend who really struggled (maybe still does) with this. She was married and divorced and again. Her first marriage before she was a Christian. Her second after. Basically she has come to the conclusion that she can't be married again...and because of her circumstances (her first husband had already been married and divorced) believes she was never married the way God intended. I hope that makes sense. I didn't really get all of it since I have only been married to John and he only married to me and it wasn't something pressing on my heart.
I hope you get the answers you seek.
C- Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Julie - I don't have anything coherently laid out, thus the question. I feel like I should.
I remember doing a brief study on it once but I haven't the faintest idea what I did with my notes so I'm starting over.
Let's see. I think it has to do with the reason for divorce in the first place. If someone is unfaithful, then the marriage vow is broken and the innocent spouse is free to remarry. If one person leaves the marriage, and the other person could not reconcile, then I think he/she would be free to remarry. of course I don't have references for all of this right this minute...
Post a Comment