Josh graduates kindergarten this week. It still amazes me that this thoughtful, affectionate, inventive, occasionally obnoxious child is MY child. It's even harder to believe he has grown from the sweet, roly-poly baby that used to kick himself to sleep in his crib. His Daddy has recently infused him with a fresh dose of Transformer obsession, but he also really likes Star Wars, Legos, and animal movies. He is not a big fan of homework, but he's doing very well in school. He reads "chapter books" and has an impressive list of spelling words, and his cursive is looking great. He studies his Bible lessons carefully, and usually has some comment that shows me he has been thinking about what he's learned. He plays with Daniel and teaches him, and he will sit patiently with him to show him his toys or how to play a game.
On the negative side, so you don't think I'm nominating him for Perfect Child 2009...well, there are some issues. Lately, the biggest one is listening (or lack thereof). I could swear everything I say bounces off of him and hovers somewhere in space, until I repeat it three or four times. When I finally end up yelling it, all the repeats come crashing back down to earth and then he finally "hears" me. I'm tired of repeating myself and I'm tired of wasting time waiting for him to tune in.
And I sometimes think he's getting spoiled, since recently I've noticed a pattern wherein he sets up a full on complaint/protest every time he doesn't get exactly what he wants. Even minor things. This is an problem for me, because I dislike whining and I find it disturbing that Josh does it so often. It's an ongoing issue, and we are addressing it. I'm really hoping it's a phase. A short phase!
So, yeah. He's not a perfect child. But he IS an amazing, sweet, wonderful child! I'll definitely be keeping him. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment