Recently our church was encouraging women to sign up to participate in classes wherein women taught women in the "iron sharpens iron" category. There were two sign up lists. The first was entitled "Do you have any special skills?" and was for anyone who wanted to teach a class. The second was for "students" to sign up for classes that had already been established. On the list were such things as making fun cupcakes, crockpot cooking, easy sewing projects, and a 8 or 9 others that are escaping me right now.
So here's what I suddenly realized: I'm in no position to teach anything. I have no special skills!! How did that happen?
This is not to say I can't do things. I can do many, many things. Further, I can do many things well. I'm competent if not good at pretty much all walks of life, from my computer to my car to minor household repairs to discussing literature to arguing the election inanities to scrapbooking. I didn't sign up for any of the church classes because it turned out I already know how to do every single thing on that second list. So I am not incompetent. I'm a good Mom and a contributing human being. And my IQ is pretty good, dang it!
But nobody's going to be calling me for help with anything since I'm not established as an expert in any area. I'm not sure why this bugs me, but it kind of does. High school was like this too -- I was in cheerleading, basketball, volleyball, and track; I was student body VP and won a bunch of now useless academic awards. But I never really did any one single thing that stuck out.
So I guess I fall into the category of "jack of all trades and master of none."
Hmph. Is this what happens to comm or public admin majors? Diverse topics, no real degree? (I can tell you all about rhetoric or how an HR department should be run, though! I'm sure you'll all be lining up.)
3 comments:
hmmm, how about a class on how to put together Ikea furniture? You rock!
How about.... how to babyproof your house? how to make baby food... how to teach your kid to read...how to put togther a Thomas the train track set... how to get kids toys out of the packaging.. the possiblities are endless!
love you!
=)
How about a class on how to start and manage your own blog?
=)
Post a Comment