I had a few little chats with Josh about his drawing, and he basically said, "The people are stuck in the building, and the fire is too hot so they have to jump out."
I also had a long talk with Josh's teacher and she described the 9/11 prayer service the kids had attended, giving me more details about what was talked about and what was in the video the school showed. She made it clear that there were no scenes that were scary, and definitely no shots of the falling people. The emphasis was apparently on how brave and heroic the firefighters and police officers were, and how hard they and our military now work to keep us safe, etc. Big, big emphasis on being thankful for the troops, since the school has a lot of military kids. She also said that the pastor did mention that people were trapped in the buildings but he didn't go into detail. She couldn't recall if anyone talked about people jumping but she didn't think so.
Also, last week was fire safety week, and they ran through the standard "feel the door to see if it's hot" scenario. You remember? Feel the door; if it's hot do not open it and find another way out. That one. So....
See the picture? See how the guy is feeling the door? I asked Josh about that part, and he explained to me that if the door is hot you can't open it. So I guess the picture is a combination of fire safety week and a few snippets of the 9/11 story. Which is not as bad as I thought. Yay!
And the more I get to know Josh's teacher, the more I like her. She was also very concerned about this whole mess and was great about talking about the film with the kids to see how they felt about it.
I think all is well now. Big Mommy sigh of relief.
4 comments:
so you're basically saying he added 1+2 got three then added 4 and got 7 which ended up with him realizing people would jump out of a building on fire...
smart little kid.
I guess be thankful he has natural abstract thinking ability.
Yes, Richard, that's exactly what I was saying! That's a great way to put it.
Thanks, I think he's really smart too!
careful though, he might be prone to putting together conspiracy theories later.
;-) j/k
LOL!
Post a Comment