Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New Addiction



A little while back I remember people talking about how much they liked the series "Firefly," and how upset they were that it was canceled. A few months ago when Jay was looking for something new to watch I remembered the show and told him about it. Then it was almost like I didn't see him for a few days -- he was constantly watching one episode or another on the computer or on his little PDA. After he finished the series, he immediately borrowed Serenity, the "follow up" movie. He rarely gets so involved with TV so I found this a little strange.

Then he started in on me. I like Joss Whedon's work, particularly his humor, and I was a big fan of Buffy. Jay kept telling me that I needed to watch Firefly, but I never got to it for various reasons. Then last month our online video queue was getting sparse so I added Firefly in for Jay, thinking he would probably enjoy watching it again. I caught 5 minutes of one episode, and since it looked interesting, I started it from the beginning.

And now I have a new favorite show. What is it about this show? I don't get it. It's a space Western with Chinese influences, focusing on a bunch of smugglers, their passengers, and their on-board courtesan. It got canceled after only 11 episodes. I'd think I would want to stay as far away from it as possible. Yet I love it. I wonder if Joss adds some type of subliminal hypnotic programming?

So I'm a browncoat now, 6 years too late. Sorry, Joss. I also didn't start watching Buffy until it was in season 5 because I thought it was a weird teenager show.

The question now becomes: will I watch "Dollhouse," his new show? It doesn't sound interesting, but then again, none of these shows do until you watch them. We'll see.

2 comments:

Zintradi said...

yes, this is one of the great atrocities of the Sci-Fi world. Firefly had a good story and was canceled before it could even get a foothold... just didn't fit with Fox at the time.
although, the movie was partially a response to the massive fan outcry and the popularity of the dvd's after the show was canceled.

Julie said...

Took you long enough!