Saturday, February 02, 2008

Troubles in Paradise

It truly is beautiful here and I love it and would be so sad if I had to live somewhere else. The weather is great, and while most of the country is literally frozen we are enjoying a brisk 70 degree day with only a few light showers. But there are some serious drawbacks to living in Hawaii. Cost of living, distance from family, home prices, etc are all somewhere on the list. But for some of the creepier problems, a picture is worth a thousand words.



Yes, that is a quarter next to it. Meet the Hawaiian Cane Spider, aka Heteropoda venatoria. I'm delighted to say this fine specimen was not found in our home but was instead discovered by one of Jay's co-workers, who captured it and gave it to Josh. He's got great "boy" instincts. Josh instantly christened it "Webby" and even took it to school for show-and-tell, where it was much admired by the four-year-old crowd.

I hate these things. The area we live in was once agricultural land, used primarily for growing sugar cane and pineapples. These spiders abounded, hence the name "cane spider." There are enough left around to occasionally freak people out, but I have only seen them in the house twice. Once in our third story, newly built and supposedly well-sealed apartment, and once lurking on a Tupperware lid in my Dad's kitchen. Both of those were smaller than this one, but the fact that they were free and jumping around the house made them much scarier.

Halfway through writing this I started to think of what people in other states deal with -- rattlesnakes, Brown Recluse spiders, bears, coyotes, angry moose, etc. So I guess this little guy isn't much to complain about. But that doesn't mean I'll be happy if I ever find one lurking in my linen closet!

6 comments:

Clint said...

Ha, we have all the alternatives in Montana. Fun!

Zintradi said...

Here in tacoma we have the Hobo Spider. It resembles the cane spider there only furrier and it has bigger mandibles.

I had my own experience with hawaiian spiders when we first moved there and lived in Milliani. I walked between the side of the house and the fence and walked into a bunch of webs and was surrounded by Banana spiders. I just froze and yelled and my mom came and took the hose to the spider webs and got me out.I think I was 4 at the time... since then I've had to come to an uneasy truce with spiders... if they dare venture inside the house, they're dead... if outside, they live because they control mosquitoes, bees and wasps and flys. Other than that...not many other creepy crawlies around here... one of the biggest pests some homeowners seem to have around here are cayotes and Racoons that will hunt and eat small pets. There's one story in particular of a cayote that lives in dicovery park up in seattle that has devoured several pets in the area and the animals rights activist have staged protests because people want to remove the wile e cayote.

Anonymous said...

i think spiders are fascinating...in their own habitat. not in my house, bed or shower. thank you very much. =) I wouldn't want to see that creature lurking inside either. however, they really are fascinating. i'd love to see how they are in their own place.

richard, don't forget the wolf spider on bainbridge island. deadly suckers.

Zintradi said...

Yeah, I forgot about those wolf spiders, they prey on the Hobo spider...

wabisabigirl said...

I hate, hate, hate spiders. BUT, I'll take spiders...just give me sunshine!!

Julie said...

I pulled your blog up while my son was around. He looked at the screen and said, "Ooooh. That's a spider." With all the awe and wonder that only not-quite three-year-olds can muster.