Thursday, February 28, 2008

Time Spent

I have spent more time in the past two weeks working on getting Josh into kindergarten than I ever spent trying to get into college. So far these schools know everything about us except what side of the bed we sleep on, but I'm sure that question will be coming up soon. These guys want to know you, your family, your habits, your income, your spiritual life, your marriage, your family life, and the color of your toothbrushes. Well, most of that.

The good news is he did well on his entrance exams and got great recommendations from his teachers. The bad news is Josh, who is not a shy or grouchy child, curled up into a little ball and sulked through most of the school interview. When the principle asked if he wanted to go to the school, he said, "No." Asked if we ever help him with his homework, he shot me a terrified look as if I would lock him up on bread and water if he answered wrong. (Later we found out he didn't know what homework was and didn't know what to say about the question.) But after that I was so nervous I ended up babbling like a monkey, which I'm sure the principle found very impressive.

I'm about to cross that school off the list, which is just as well since the tuition is approximately 10% of our income and would probably have sent us to the poor house anyway.

This whole experience has left me a little bummed out. I'd really like him to be able to go to a school where he learns his Bible, memorizes verses, and can begin to understand the world from a Christian perspective. But more than that I want him to learn these things from Christian teachers who are actually walking with God, who truly want the kids to learn to love God and have Him working in their lives. I guess I'd love to see him in a place where the don't just teach Christianity, they also live Christianity. I wonder if this school is it, or if such a school exists here.

We went to a Christian school and I never saw any of this. Is it because it wasn't happening, or because I was a cynical teenager? I don't know. It always seemed to me it was more important to them that we did our homework, passed our chapel quizzes, and didn't smoke, drink or have sex. Relationship with Christ, growing and learning as Christians, applying our faith to the world around us? I don't remember if it was ever even mentioned. As long as we weren't swearing and our skirts were past our knees all was well. Perhaps some of my HCF classmates can chime in on what they think. I think I sometimes look back at high school with purple & gold colored glasses -- I remember loving my friends but I couldn't wait to get out of there. This school -- my glorious alma mater -- is an option for Josh too. I just feel so uncomfortable about it, since I always thought the way they taught the Bible was more of a sledgehammer approach than anything else.

And the public school system here terrifies me. In the last three years, two schools have "lost" kindergarteners. The kids wandered off the playgrounds and were found blocks away a few hours later. We've got kiddie drug dealers in 4th and 5th grade sitting in the same cafeteria with all those fresh-faced little 5 year olds. We've got kids -- little kids! -- having sex, smoking, and doing who-knows-what-else in the bathrooms. And before I retired to be a stay at home Mom, I worked closely with public school teachers on some curriculum issues. I know what kind of insidious stuff they think is perfectly fine for even the youngest kids.

So, here we go. Wanted: Christian kindergarten/elementary school within 30 minute drive. Christian teachers, preferably the kind that understand what it truly means to be a Christian. Love God, love the kids. Good curriculum. Safe environment. Happy students. Oh, and it'd be nice if he got a decent education out of it too. Preferably for a price that won't have us eating nothing but mac & cheese all year long.

Is that so much to ask?

Answering my own question, yes, it might be. I might be opening my own school, with a single enrolled student. I just have to dodge the lightning that will strike me because I always swore I would never, ever homeschool. Even now the thought terrifies me. I guess you just never know where life will take you.

I anticipate sitting at his high school graduation, looking back on this month and laughing. Please God.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I don't know about your area, but Christian schools, particularly for elementary seem to abound around here. How would feel about sending Josh to a school that is a different denom, like Lutheran or Catholic, if it met other criteria?

Have you looked at savvysource.com? I've found it a useful site, at least to give a look at what's around.

Clint said...

You've met Jess, she seemed fairly normal right? She was homeschooled for much of her academic career. Homeschooling doesn't have to be bad as long as you're good about making sure your boys are involved in social activities outside of the house.

By the way, you sound old... Complaining about kids these days... Heh. Funny.

Jodi said...

I'm not complaining about the kids, I'm complaining about the educational system. And since it's an election year I fit right in with everybody else -- Obama & Hilary would totally agree with me. Not that I care.

When I start talking about arthritis, then you can call me old!

Zintradi said...

well, my perspective is almost 20 years old, but I aggree with you about the public schools in hawaii... My days at pear city elementary were less than stellar that I can remember... although, I never got any racist bullying untill I got to unmentioned private school that we attended simultaniously(perhaps because a lot of Pearl city elem had military kids)

I remember it happening in front of the teachers and them doing nothing about it. There was another incident that to this day I feel I was a scapegoat. And then there was the bible class that as you said it, was hammered into you. And they did seem more concearned that my hair was cut around my ears and my shirt was tucked in than that a seventh grader was picking on a 4th grader on the bus or a group of 5th graders were picking on the haole fut.

Sorry for dumping my emotional scars here. I aggree with your critique of the school and can appreciate your dilemma in picking a school.

I'd have to aggree with clint on this one that homeschooling definately is a good idea if you have the patience and determination, but I don't have kids so maybe my opinions will change later.