There are two boxes under my bed that mostly only see the light of day when I'm vacuuming or moving furniture. One contains my sweatshirts, and the other contains my wedding dress. They get used with almost equal frequency -- after all, this is Hawaii, and even when it gets a little chilly I'm usually happy with just a long sleeved shirt. So the sweatshirt box hasn't really been opened for a few years. Until now.
I realize this won't generate any sympathy from most of you -- given the readership here hails from places such as Indiana, Washington, Ohio, Germany, Montana, and a few warmer people in California. But still, I have to say it -- I'm cold! I'm SO cold!
Not only have I hauled out the sweatshirt box, I've actually worn several different ones already. My Sigma Chi shirt is still as pristine as the day I got it. And the one I wore yesterday was the same one I wore to Vegas when we drove through there on our way to the National Forensics tournament the year it was held in Utah -- in
1994. It still looks brand-new, too, despite the little hole in it I put there when it caught on the door handle of the Luxor, where the team went for a buffet dinner. At this rate I may be able to pass my Sigma sweats on to my kids and send them off to school with them. No one will ever need to know the shirts are 28 years old (but I wonder if Sigma will still be around then).
I realize it isn't really cold here. I do. But when you live in Hawaii and the houses are drafty and it drops down to the 50s at night, you have to realize that it drops to the 50s inside the house too. Because most of us have no climate control; we just have windows. Cold windows.
So while I was I talking to my friend in Fairbanks yesterday she was probably wearing a t-shirt and was toasty warm in her apartment. And here I was in Hawaii, shivering with jeans, socks, long sleeves -- and of course, my sweatshirt.
Sometimes things are just funny that way.
5 comments:
Yeah, it's a wee cold in WI. And supposed to be colder on Sunday for the big Packer game (1 degree for kickoff). =) But I sympathize. If you aren't used to it and not prepared for it...it is cold! Right now we are "warm" at 20-30 degrees.
Yeah I do remember the housing we had on base... you could see light coming in through the walls.
Hopefully the newer houses in Hawaii have discovered the marvels of modern building techniques and insulation.
You're right, no sympathy here:) It was 20 degrees today and I HATE cold weather!
We've been at or below freezing for a week now. I'm going skiing. Celebrate the cold!
I have to say that as we are under FEET of snow and I just packed Eden's snow pants, boots, hat, and mittens in her backpack that I don't feel your pain one little bit!! we have swearshirts in hand year round!!
Post a Comment