Friday, June 15, 2007

Please Pray for Daniel (again)


Danny's breathing and heart rate have improved somewhat. Although they occasionally do spike up to a scary level, they haven't been as high as they were when he required hospitalization. Thank you to all of you who have been praying for him!

Now we are experiencing a new problem, and we are asking for prayer again. On Monday evening I noticed he had a slight swelling. On Tuesday it was a tad bigger, and by Wednesday he had a slight fever. I thought it might be some sort of bite and I didn't want to make a big deal out of it. However, I don't take any chances with him anymore, so we went straight to the doctor.

You can imagine how upset I was when they took one look at it and sent me off to see a surgeon. It got worse when the surgeon was examining him and muttering something about needing to book an operating room. It turned out he was able to do a "procedure" in his office, no operating room required. (Thank God!) Still, it was pretty really awful. He had to have the lump -- which turned out to be an abscess -- incised and drained. I'm getting a little graphic here -- this means they slice you with a scalpel, insert a cotton swab into the wound to get a culture sample, squeeze it to get the rest of the stuff out, then stuff it with a long strip of gauze to keep it open and draining.

I had an abscess when I was 17, and they HURT to have them incised. I'm talking they hurt so bad I'd rather go through childbirth. So I was devastated and so, so sad that Daniel had to have one done. He's so tiny, and he's already been through so much. If you ever have to hold your child when someone else is really hurting them, you'll know how horrible I felt. If you haven't, I can't describe it. It's the worst feeling I've ever had in my life. My poor baby!

I should mention that this incision is in the diaper area, in a very inconvenient place. It's now a little hole, and it's constantly getting covered with poop. This is a big problem, since it's an open wound and it's not like I can put a band aid on it. The risk of infection is very, very high. This is especially bad for Daniel, because an infection brings fever, and fevers increase the heart rate -- this could seriously exacerbate his other medical condition. Also, there is a 50% chance this could develop into something called a fistula, which will require hospital admission and surgery to fix. And, the final insult -- these things tend to recur. Apparently, once you get one, you're prone to get them over and over.

So, my friends and anybody else reading, please, please pray for my little guy!

Specifically:
Please pray that the abscess itself will drain properly and original infection will clear up quickly.
Please pray that the new incision will not get infected and will heal properly.
Please pray that there will be no fevers and no need for antibiotics.
Please pray that there will be no new abscesses, no fistulas, and no more complications.
Please pray for pain relief for my little guy. He has some pain from the original infection and the incision, and also getting pee on an open wound really stings.

Also, please continue to pray for his breathing and heart rate. We are encouraged by his improvement but since he still has episodes we know we are not quite there yet.
Right now he seems comfortable and appears to be his normal happy self, for which I am so thankful. And thank you to all of you! It feels good to know that God is in control and people are praying for us.

PS...Sorry about the spit-up in the picture. Wouldn't you know, I finally get them both to smile and Danny's chin is dripping!

2 comments:

3boysmama said...

That is terrible! What an awfull spot to have it in! I didn't realize that those hurt so much. Poor poor baby! =(

We will be praying for him!

The picture is SOO cute! He has such cute cheeks! I didn't notice the spit up until you mentioned it!

wabisabigirl said...

Poor little guy! And poor mommy! Sometimes it's emotionally harder on the mommys! Praying for you guys! He's adorable. And doesn't sitting next to him make Josh look so grown up!!!