I've noticed that a good many contemporary worship songs favor the wizened one's speech patterns. Case in point, one of my new favorites, "My Savior, My God."
I am not skilled to understand
What God has willed, what God has planned
I only know at His right hand
Stands one who is my Savior
I take Him at His word and deed
Christ died to save me; this I read
And in my heart I find a need
Of Him to be my savior
That He would leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange, so once did I
Before I knew my Savior
Chorus (2x's)
My Savior loves, My Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God: He was, my God; He is
My God is always gonna be
Yes, living, dying, let me bring
My strength, my solace from this spring;
That He who lives to be my King Once died to be my Savior
Aaron Shust, 2005
Like it, I do. But amuses me, it does.
3 comments:
It's not like this is a new thing. Hymns are notorious for doing this to get the rhyme.
The first that springs to mind is: Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest. Though there are others. Lots.
LOVE that song and well worth buying the whole CD.
Yep, I know it's pretty common. I don't know why this one song sticks with me so much. The "so once did I" line is the one that gets me.
I do really like the song, though. I wish it were in a different key!
Post a Comment