Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The holiday season is about to begin, as evidenced by the various rubber-coated animatronic monsters populating our local retail stores. Thus begins our annual avoid-the-monster games.

The boy is terrified of Halloween stuff. I think this heralds back to last year, where he was examining a display of pumpkins in Walmart when a teenager nearby decided to activate a display of screaming skulls. Not surprisingly, the boy's little 2.5 year old self jumped a foot in the air and he joined in on the screams. After that, we avoided the Halloween aisle.

If only it were as easy as that! Soon someone decided to place a Lurch-like creature in one of the main aisles, and when I stopped to examine some Dora the Explorer placemats Lurch was evidently eyeing up my boy. So, no more going near the main aisle. Misty graveyards, impaled witch heads, and the like made any shopping expedition a scary one. Soon our grocery store, drug store, video store, and most-frequented restaurant (Zippy's) also became little monster minefields. The months before Halloween were not fun.

Tonight, as we entered the garden department of everyone's favorite big box, we were greeted by Frankenstein who, microphone in hand, was loudly crooning "Monster Mash." I walked right past him. The boy sprinted past him. Later, as we prepared to leave, he announced that he didn't want to see any plants and that we should go pay for our items "right here" (the front registers). Asked why, he replied he didn't feel like seeing the monster again.

Only 59 days until Halloween!

3 comments:

3boysmama said...

I feel your pain! Micah HATES all that stuff too. Mommy, is he nice? Is he not mean?

Anonymous said...

I KNOW! My son is the same way! He is FREAKED. He stops cold turkey in stores and cannot move. "I don't like that man." "That man scares me." UGH. I especially cannot stand when people in the neighborhood decide to decorate their houses with skulls. HUH? Since when did it become 'fun' to scare the little kids?

Jodi said...

It's good to know my boy isn't the only child that gets scared! Today I made him go look at the Frankenstein thingy and we might have had a breakthrough!